Booting NetBSD from GPT/EFI

Hi all,

Just got a new laptop (Lenovo Z50) and I've run into problems while trying to get NetBSD onto it.

First off, 7.0.1 crashes during radeon initialisation (can't find the ROM apparently), but a recent -current snapshot works fine, so that's easy.

The next problem is that it's GPT/EFI only. I've shrunk the preinstalled Windows partitions and created gpt partitions (slices?) for ffs and swap; the problem is now getting it to boot.

There seems to be a lot of information on the Internet, but most of it is a few years old and not very clear; also, it seems to mostly concentrate on installing NetBSD as the sole operating system, whereas I'd like to be able to dual-boot Windows and NetBSD.

Is this at all possible? I understand the bootloader has to go in the existing EFI partition; can I overwrite that without bothering Windows? Does the order of partitions matter (currently the NetBSD bits are indexes 7 and 8)? Should I rather use Grub? Are there tutorials available? (I've found those on the NetBSD wiki, but two of those are about Macs and the other one is very concise...) Or should I just switch to legacy mode and do fdisk/disklabel wrangling?

any help appreciated,

  Jaap
--
"Then I'll tell the truth. We're allowed to do that in emergencies."