Re: wireless configuration

Hi Greg,

Greg Troxel wrote:
To me the point is that wpa_supplicant is hard to configure.  In the old
days, one just specified a nwid and key.  Now, WPA2 is more complicated
than WEP, but from the usual user viewpoint it's mostly the same thing:
a network name and a password.   So it would be really nice if it could
be configured that simply.

I have the feeling wpa_supplicant exists as a process with a config file
partly because some of the things it can do are complicated, and partly
because of structuring the code to be like the entities in the standard.

wpa_supplicant is nice, it can do a lot of things, it has failover, you can have your home and office network in it and will connect to the existing one... Howver, I do love the simplicity of putting the SSID and password in ifconfig.

OpenBSD can do it and I love that. I would love that in NetBSD too. wpa_supplicant can remain for the more complex cases, but get the BSD simplicity back.

Riccardo