build.sh ... release--works but only install needed

Hello,

        I would like to preedit the fortune game to remove my version of
        offensive fortunes -- sarcasm in bad taste quoting Nazis.
        Post-editing works, but I want to fix it right the first time.

        It appears that there are calculated checksums for the
        installation files in the release target, such that if I preedit
        the src tree, the non-matching values make the build fail.  How
        can I adjust the build.sh process to recalculate based on the
        local preedited src tree and succeed when installing.  Apologies
        for the trouble, and thanks in advance.

        Sincerely,
        John R. Towler
        jtowler%soncom.com@localhost