Re: pf or npf?

On 25/02/16 19:40, Jukka Marin wrote:
> I'm setting up a new gateway machine (NetBSD 7.0).  My old gateway is based
> on NetBSD 6.0 and pf.  Can I use pf on NetBSD 7.0 or should I move to npf?
> Why?

   My router panics (in pf) from time to time (NetBSD/amd64 6.1.x).
Also, I run miniupnpd (because I need UPnP), and while the rules will
successfully be created in pf, inbound UDP packets more often than not
will not pass through.  For me pf is a little flaky, so I'm always on
the side of moving away from it.  But to be fair, it seems more stable
for others..

   If it weren't for me needing UPnP, I would have moved to npf a long
time ago.

> I have found more examples and manuals for pf, and moving to npf seems like
> extra work.  With pf, I could also copy my config over with minor
> modifications (I guess).

   If you don't have any specific needs (like UPnP), then I would say
it's a good opportunity to do the migration.

   I did convert one of my pf configurations to npf (I was looking into
adding npf support to miniupnpd), and it was definitely not a huge task.

--
Kind Regards,
Jan