Re: Exist operating systems that ship without blobs?

Jorge Luis <jorgeluiscorreioeletronico%gmail.com@localhost> writes:

> Exist operating systems that ship without blobs?
>
> If yes, what are the operating systems that ship without blobs?

I was not clear that OpenBSD was entirely blob-free, but it's
believable.  I suspect Debian is also in that category (on
software-freedom philosophical grounds more than on security grounds).

> NetBSD really include blobs?

Yes, because it is the only currently known path to make some drivers
work.  Mostly this is firmware to be loaded.

It would seem reasonable to have some MK knob to disable to remove this,
for people that don't want to run code without sources.

However, you might want to ponder the difference between firmware that's
in ROM on a wifi card and the same firmware that's squirted in at boot
time from the OS.   It gets messy when you become really hard core about
software freedom...