Re: How to install NetBSD on a USB stick

On Sun, Feb 14, 2016 at 08:34:37AM +0530, Mayuresh wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 14, 2016 at 08:55:05AM +1030, Brett Lymn wrote:
> > that is an install image, the orignal poster sounded like they wanted to
> > run a full NetBSD from the stick which is different.  There is a wiki
> > entry for installing on a usb stick:
> >
> > https://wiki.netbsd.org/tutorials/how_to_install_netbsd_from_an_usb_memory_stick/
> >
> > which is pretty much the same as my one (the implementality blog post).
> > Are you having problems or just after "official" documentation?
>
> I was looking for either
> - official documentation or

Well, the above wiki qualifies does it not?

> - official image (I cited a 3rd party one in OP, A. Do not know whether it
>   would be secure B. I anyway tried it and it didn't work) or

jibbed is actually done by a NetBSD developer if my recollection is
correct so it may be somewhat trustworthy....

> - instructions to install using installer, using which I am able to
>   install to a hard disk, (why not to a USB stick)

I think because of broken bioses that see usb as removable media and
want to boot from them but not 100% sure.  Really, if the media is
available at boot I would have expected that you could install to it but
it is not something I have tried.

> - your blog (I cited in OP) is nice. I just wonder why the standard
>   installation procedure should not work for a stick.

Well, mainly because I had a NetBSD system running already and I didn't
want to risk doing an install again - it is always hairy when you have
multiple disks on a machine and you are not sure which is which.  It was
easier for me just to create the usb disk in the manner I documented
rather than any systemic blocker.

> - Will the end result be different with your method vs creating a live
>   image (as Gary's reply suggested)?

IIRC Gary pointed you at an install image which has a cut down set of
tools on it, just sufficient to install the operating system.  If you
are looking for a fully functioning NetBSD system then you don't want an
install image.

--
Brett Lymn
Let go, or be dragged - Zen proverb.