Re: GPT vs BSD-label

On Tue, Feb 09, 2016 at 12:36:59AM +0000, Christos Zoulas wrote:

> OpenBSD has done it. I've made the same code changes but I stopped
> just before committing because we have dozens of custom copies of disklabel
> code that would need to be adjusted and tested.

You also need to keep in mind that OpenBSD don't give a flying fsck
about doing multi-boot.  When I updated my laptop a couple of years ago
the system recovery insisted on using GPT (to the extent that it *must*
be laid out exactly how they expect[1]), since I wanted windows on there
I needed to work with that.  GPT is the way the PC hardware is going,
ignoring that direction is just going to result in pain further down the
track.  I have been using GPT + wedges + cgd for a couple of years, it
works fine.

[1] I had to resort to letting it install windows, then immediately
shrink the windows partition so I could create partitions for linux and
NetBSD.  I have windows 8, fedora core and NetBSD all coexisting using
grub2 as the boot selector.

--
Brett Lymn
Let go, or be dragged - Zen proverb.