Re: How to run Microsoft Internet Explorer on NetBSD?

On Mon, 1 Feb 2016, Jose Luis Rodriguez Garcia wrote:
It is still in pkgsrc : net/citrix_ica version 10.6.115659.

Ugh. I forgot about that. I need to go back to i386. It fails for AMD64, but yeah, it's still a certificate trust-nightmare.

<rant> I used to mildly dislike SSL before it was completely broken by the NSA and others. Now, I consider it WAY too complicated to believe in and I really hate it. This whole idiocy with "trust" has gone down some road where I'm supposed to trust that one dirty corporation (like Verisign) believes that another slimey corporation is legit, (and their verification steps are easily defrauded/circumvented). What if I fundamentally despise both of them and don't trust either one? Then all I am left with is a turd-hunt for the latest certificate bundle that XYZ crapware needs to run and a bad attitude. What 99% of folks who use SSL care about is _transport_ encryption, NOT the chain-of-trust, which I consider to be fundamentally flawed and broken at it's very core. However, it's the chain-of-trust features that drag down SSL the most. Encryption is hard enough to understand & manage without adding in a double-batch of committee-based stupidity. Okay, now I'll be over here crying "KISS!" in the wilderness if anyone needs me... :-P </rant>

Also, IIRC, even on i386 (from memory, because I fiddled with it about 6-8 months ago) it had major issues. The main thing I ran into was that without the browser plugin you just get prompted for what to do with an ".ICA" file when the Citrix portal throws that at you. The package compiled & installed, but once I actually tried to use it, I noticed it had some other major issues (and it seems like they were more than just certificate issues). In fact, IIRC, I think the 'wfica' binary was missing some libraries it was linked to, and that was my biggest problem. Check your output from: ldd `which wfica`

Thanks,
  Swift