Re: NetBSD 7.0 amd64 boot failure on KVM

Swift Griggs wrote:
> Here's what happens when the system boots (last 5 lines that matter from
> the kernel ring buffer):
>
> [...]
> vmt0 at cpu0: Unknown
> vmware: open failed, eax=564d5868, ecx=0000001e, edx=00005658
> vmt0: failed to open backdoor RPC channel (TCLO protocol)
> esiop_intr: I shouldn't be there !
>
> I know how you feel, Mr. Kernel. I shouldn't be there either :-P

For what it's worth, I'm running a NetBSD system under KVM and also
getting the "esiop_intr: I shouldn't be there !" message, but the
system boots successfully nonetheless:

  acpicpu0 at cpu0: ACPI CPU
  acpicpu0: C1: HLT, lat   0 us, pow     0 mW
  esiop_intr: I shouldn't be there !
  timecounter: Timecounter "clockinterrupt" frequency 100 Hz quality 0
  scsibus0: waiting 2 seconds for devices to settle...
  (etc)

This is a 6.1.2 system patched with the fix from PR 48277, which
should already be in 7.0.  And if it weren't, you would be getting
a panic, not a hang.

I'm afraid I don't know what KVM version this is hosted on - whatever
Edis GmbH are using in their Hafnarfjordur VPS servers.  The CPU ID
is "QEMU Virtual CPU version 1.1.2, id 0x623".
--
Andreas Gustafsson, gson%gson.org@localhost