Re: Beating a dead horse

    Date:        Thu, 26 Nov 2015 23:34:37 +0100
    From:        Michael van Elst <mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost>

  | This list will scan only wedges for PVs.
  |         filter = [ "a|rdk[0-9]*|", "r|.*|" ]

Yes, as you may have seen from a later message, the filter list was never
really the problem, it was the "r" in rdk, which I wasn't using ... I'm
used to using block devices for anything filesystem related (raidframe
uses block devices, cgd uses block devices, ...)

It simply never occurred to me, initially anyway, to use the raw device,
and the doc, being all linux based where the distinction doesn't exist
(terrible decision on their part I think) gives no clue at all that a
char device is needed.

But once I used the raw device, that problem just went away.

  | The LVM code (function _dev_get_size_dev) only determines the sector count
  | but assumes 512 byte sectors.

Yes, figured that out.   That's what cgd does too...

  | But you can fake the value with pvcreate --setphysicalvolumesize.

Will that really work?   That is, if it is done that way, won't the
"device" (the pv or whatever) appear to be a 512 byte sector "drive" ?
If it does, what prevents i/o in 512 byte units (which the underlying
drive simply will not perform)?

kre