Re: Beating a dead horse

Robert Elz <kre%munnari.OZ.AU@localhost> writes:

>     Date:        Mon, 23 Nov 2015 11:18:48 -0553.75
>     From:        "William A. Mahaffey III" <wam%hiwaay.net@localhost>
>
> Much of what you wanted to know has been answered already I think, but
> not everything, so....
>
> (in a different order than they were in your message)
>
>   | Also, why did my fdisk
>   | choose those values when his chose apparently better ones ?
>
> There's a size threshold - drives smaller get the offfset 63 stuff,
> and drives larger, 2048 ... the assumption is that on small drives
> you don't want to waste too much space, but on big ones a couple of
> thousand sectors is really irrelevant...

I can see that 2048 is a multiple of many more values, but I wonder
about changing 63 to 64, which is a multiple of 8 and thus good enough
for the 4K issue, and wastes only 512 bytes.  (In my experience drives
of 1T and maybe even 750G are showing up with 4K sectors.)

The other thing would be to change the alignment threshold to 128G.
Even that's big enough that 1M not used by default is not important.
And of course people who care can do whatever they want anyway.