Re: Beating a dead horse

On 11/24/15 11:02, Felix Deichmann wrote:
Am 24.11.2015 um 15:32 schrieb William A. Mahaffey III:
Physical sector size: 4096 bytes
                        ^^^^

As Manuel already stated, you have disks with 4K sectors.

Could you expand a bit further on those tools :-) ?

All I know is from reading about it, it's called "Acronis Alignment
Tool", also available from certain drive manufacturers for free.

Are they NetBSD ported ?

It comes as a stand-alone ISO image you can boot from when burnt to a
CD/DVD. No port necessary. It will rewrite your disk(s), so can take a huge amount of time.

CLI tools ?

No, it seems to have a graphical UI.

Work on booted/running drives or need to be invoked before/during
boot ?

You will have to boot it instead of your favorite OS. :)

The main problem I see is that the tool could be limited to FAT/NTFS, i. e. the Windows world, and it will probably not work well with NetBSD's concept of disk structuring. But you would have to find out.

You can probably save a lot of time, tries and headache by doing a fresh installation of your server with correct alignment and block sizes... :-|

Felix

Yeah, I was/am pretty well resigned to that .... Oh well, live & learn. I presume the various fdisk options superpose properly, i.e. I can specify alignment to use as well as edit the partitions ? We'll see, I guess ....

--

	William A. Mahaffey III

	 ever devised by man."
                           -- Gen. George S. Patton Jr.