NetBSD/i386 7.0 hangs booting 486

Hi,

just tried to boot NetBSD/i386 7.0 (LEGACY kernel) on a 486 DX2 with 48 MB RAM. Installation was done on a recent amd64 machine to a 2 GB IDE disk which was put into the 486 then (yes, its BIOS can fully recognize the CHS geometry, but can this be the problem?). I can also see no IRQ conflicts etc., it is just a basic machine right now.

Unfortunately it hangs when accessing the filesystem:

[...]
root on wd0a dumps on wd0b
root file system type: ffs
[hang]

I can at least scroll the kernel output with shift + arrow keys, but nothing else happens.
How to proceed now? Maybe try NetBSD-6 to get an idea of the problem?

Regards,
Felix