Re: Console Resolution

On Sun, Nov 01, 2015 at 09:26:19PM -0500, Bob Bernstein wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Nov 2015, Michael van Elst wrote:
>
> >The other path was already mentioned, you can configure the bootloader in
> >/boot.cfg to disable the framebuffer console.
>
> Thanks. May I infer that this problem of an unreadably small console font is
> not an issue for those who use display managers to boot directly into X? It
> seems, almost "by definition," that that would be the case (but it pays to
> check as they say.)

I guess for most people it isn't an issue. And here it was probably
a decision wether to enable the DRM code for NetBSD-7 or wait even
longer until the console got smarter.

Don't think that the unreadably small console font on high resolution
displays isn't considered a problem. On a Retina display or 4K monitor
it can be an issue also for people with good eyesight.

> Which reminds me, Michael: why did you warn against the possible loss of X
> if that approach -- removing the drm code -- was used with NetBSD 7.0?

If you disable the drm code, then you might only be able to use X in vesa
mode, which might not support your display. I'm not sure if you can disable
only the framebuffer console and still use drm for X.

Greetings,
--
                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost