Re: Please recommend office package on NetBSD

On Fri, 30 Oct 2015, Andreas Kusalananda K?h?ri wrote:
Why would you open up a big clunky *editor* to read a document?

I wouldn't.   :-)

Get back to them and tell them to send you a PDF version of the thing instead. The option to export to PDF is right there, in the menu.

It's a lot harder to do in a huge corporation where you start asking that of your boss, then move up the chain from there to VPs and other folks who don't even know what ASCII or UTF-8 is. Most companies at this point consider it anathema to use plain text. I've literally had people complain to me that I used plain-text for emails. One guy steamed "It looks like you wrote it on a damn typewriter." Aww... the poor thing... no dancing reindeer or 24-point fonts triple spaced.... :-)

Works for me... ... sometimes.

More power to you, brother. If I could get away with that, I would. From your sig, you look like you have a cool coding job at the university (BTW, I visited Upsalla and loved it). Keep that gig! I hope you never find out what it's like to work at a big nasty American corporate-overlord-style gig. They literally freak out if you send them a text file. Then, if it's a unix text file, they invariably open it with Notepad, which promptly eats it (ignores the LF's). Even if you tell them to use Wordpad, literacy and/or reading comprehension doesn't seem to be the MS user's strong suite. If you ask them to create PDFs, you get to tutor them in the best case, and you get yelled at in the worst case.

Not trying to be argumentative, I'm just relating my experience. If things are better for you - GOOD. I'll live vicariously though others :-)

-Swift