Re: USB 3 PCI cards for use with NetBSD?

On Sun, 11 Oct 2015 10:21:45 -0500
"Jonathan A. Kollasch" <jakllsch%kollasch.net@localhost> wrote:

> Either should work.  I'm not aware of any USB 3 controller that isn't
> XHCI.  But obviously you'll have a bandwidth limit issue for SuperSpeed.
> SuperSpeed is like 600MB/s, conventional PCI is only 133MB/s.  Even
> 1st-gen PCIe x1 is only 2.5Gbit/s, half the bandwidth of a USB 3 port.
> 2nd-gen (5Gbit/s) PCIe x1 is really the way to go.

The typical portable USB disk is not going to achieve anywhere near
600MB/s to/from the platters anyway. If I can have 80MB/s with slightly
lower I/O latency than USB 2.0 I would still consider it a winner.
This seems like it could be possible.