Re: termcap issue

On Aug 23, 2015, at 2:04, Michael van Elst <mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost> wrote:

> khym%azeotrope.org@localhost (Dave Huang) writes:
>> for network terminals (pretty much just ssh these
>> days, but IIRC this is the case for telnet too. Don't know about
>> rlogin), the client will send the appropriate character to the server.
>
> ssh will do that.
>
> telnet and rlogin only pass the TERM variable.

telnet linemode has the Set Local Characters (SLC) function. The
telnet(1) manpage says:

     slc state  The slc command (Set Local Characters) is used to set or
                change the state of the special characters when the TELNET
                LINEMODE option has been enabled.  Special characters are
                characters that get mapped to TELNET commands sequences (like
                ip or quit) or line editing characters (like erase and kill).
                By default, the local special characters are exported.

(And I confirmed the "By default, the local special characters are
exported" part by doing stty erase '#', telnetting to a NetBSD machine,
and seeing that erase was set to # on the remote machine. You don't
have to type "slc export" yourself)

> FreeBSD removed the tset call from login in 1995, replaced it first
> with a fixed 'stty erase ^H' and then dropped it altogether. I am
> not sure if that is the best approach, but it surely avoids the
> ssh-login problem.
>
> An alternative would be to remove the kbs attribute from 'remote terminals'
> in the terminfo database.

Either sounds OK to me... I've removed the tset from my .login and
things are working well for me now. ssh works fine, and serial console
has erase ^? by default, which is correct for me. If FreeBSD removed
the tset call, perhaps that's what we should do too.

INet: khym%azeotrope.org@localhost |  they raise a paw / the bat, the cat /
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 39 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++