Re: resize_root=YES in rc.conf ????

On Aug 19,  9:22am, Ottavio Caruso wrote:
} >From netbsd-announce:
}
} On 18 August 2015 at 20:31, Soren Jacobsen <snj%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:
} > Some of the changes since 7.0_RC2 are:
} > - Add a resize_root boot operation (disabled by default). If
} >   resize_root=YES in rc.conf then the system attempts to resize the root
} >   file system to fill its partition prior to mounting read-write.
}
} Can anybody explain in layman's terms what that means and why I would
} want to enable that option?

     This is mainly intended for images that are dd'ed to an SD
card.  Although, I think it might be useful for an image that is
dd'ed to a thumb drive as well (would want to test that).  The
generated image is going to be relatively compact so that it can
fit on as many cards as possible, as well as reducing storage on
FTP servers, etc., and reducing bandwidth usage.  The resize_root
option will cause the compact image to be expanded on first boot
so that it uses up the whole device.

}-- End of excerpt from Ottavio Caruso