Re: 7.0_RC1 slow boot

On Sun, 09 Aug 2015, Frank Wille wrote:
Alan Barrett wrote:

It's not just checking whether a pid is alive, it's checking whether
the PID represents a shell running /etc/rc, to guard against pids being
recycled.  That part is probably unnecessary.

I can also reduce the number of times _have_rc_postprocessor is called.

Thanks. I can make comparison tests on some classic hardware, as soon as a
new patch is available.

I just added a patch to PR 50046. It makes _have_rc_postprocessor much cheaper (I think it should not fork at all), but doesn't reduce the number of times it is called.

I think this would be quite important to fix for 7.0, as it affects all
hardware with a weaker CPU. And NetBSD runs on a lot of this hardware
(embedded, NAS, etc.).

Oh yes, it's essential that we fix this.

--apb (Alan Barrett)