Re: USB-keyboard with a non-standard layout in wscons

Thanks For your mail, Dan.

On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 5:15 AM, Dan LaBell <dan4l-nospam%verizon.net@localhost> wrote:

> On Jun 27, 2015, at 8:08 AM, Hans dinsen-hansen wrote:
>
>> Dear list.
>>
> In your kernel do you have?
> options         WSDISPLAY_COMPAT_PCVT         # emulate some ioctls
> options         WSDISPLAY_COMPAT_USL          # VT handling
> options         WSDISPLAY_COMPAT_RAWKBD       # can get raw scancodes
> # don't attach pckbd as the console if no PS/2 keyboard is found
> options         PCKBD_CNATTACH_MAY_FAIL
> options        UKBD_LAYOUT="(KB_DK | KB_NODEAD)"  # for ukbd driver
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  This I haven't tried ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
It seems _the_  idea!  I have my definition in /etc/wscons.conf.  I'll change
that!

> Have you tried the generic kernel, the one that from your initial install,
> not one you built?  This may be a stupid question, but are you doing do a
> make clean between builds?

Actually, I had not. I tried it, and then it answered that it didn't know
how to make clean.  So I cooked up my own little source file called
cleanup!  That helped a lot.  Suddenly, I got a set of dmesg first telling
me that wscons0 was not configured, an further down that wscons0
was connected (indirectly) to USB.  I got so happy, but only until I tried
to test it.

> I connected a Pazzport, which is a mouse keyboard combo
> ----
> wsdisplay0: screen 5 added (80x50, vt100 emulation)
> uhidev0 at uhub1 port 2 configuration 1 interface 0
> uhidev0: iPazzPort iPazzPort, rev 2.00/1.00, addr 2, iclass 3/1
> uhidev0: 2 report ids
> ums0 at uhidev0 reportid 1: 3 buttons and Z dir
> wsmouse0 at ums0 mux 0
> uhid0 at uhidev0 reportid 2: input=2, output=0, feature=0
> uhidev1 at uhub1 port 2 configuration 1 interface 1
> uhidev1: iPazzPort iPazzPort, rev 2.00/1.00, addr 2, iclass 3/1
> ukbd0 at uhidev1
> wskbd1 at ukbd0 mux 1
> wskbd1: connecting to wsdisplay0
> -----
> and I discovered they keycodes are quite different for the usb, starting
> at 4, and escape being 41 etc.
> Also, discovered I can select which keyboard with
>  wsconsctl -f /dev/wskbd1.
> Anyway way, I was able to select dk.nodead for the usb keyboard,
> and change a key, and it didn't trash it.
> I'm running 5.2, but plan to update to 5.2.3 soon.

If I do nolt succeed with the above, I'll make an update.

It may take some time because I think so slowly now that I
have passed Shakespeare's "three score and ten", and quickly
aproach the time when I cross the four score border.  During the
next days my grandchildren will take a lot of my time.

Byt thank you for your ideas.

By the way, I always use the GENERIC options as base.