Re: USB-keyboard with a non-standard layout in wscons

On Jun 20, 2015, at 11:00 AM, Hans dinsen-hansen wrote:

I have 2 problems with a new USB-keyboard and wscons.  The system
is NetBSD 5.1.

  1) The backspase key gives ^H in stead of ^?.
   2) The Danish keyboard layout yields JKLÆØ| jklæø\
        in stead of standard JKLÆØ* jklæø'.

I need this keyboard with yeloow keys and large engravings, as my
sight is waning.

Maybe check current mode, with wsconsctl -a
In wscons.conf you have encoding=dk  ?
Is this key left of enter, and is it giving you what's printed on it?

Is there anything that I can do to wscons.conf to make the key in the
third row next to the enter-key Danish in stead of American?

There's a way to add a file of individual redefines in wscons.conf,
with "mapfile", but I'm still putting mine in /etc/rc.local
I have:
/sbin/wsconsctl -w map+="keycode 1 = Escape exclamdown" > /dev/null
/sbin/wsconsctl -w map+="keycode 58 = Cmd_Debugger Control_L" > /dev/ null
/sbin/wsconsctl -w map+="keycode 211 = KP_Delete" > /dev/null

According to wscons.conf(5) the format of map file is what's between
the quotes.  Actually, I was just motivated to convert to the mapfile,
but it's probably more useful to make a script, and insert in rc.local
if you can change encoding you lose what's the remappings.

Of course, this doesn't really help you, does it? W/O knowing
what to set.  You can see the current map with wsconsctl map | more
I just switched to dk encoding, and dk.nodead , saving the output
of wsconsctl map, and compared with the us map, and I found in
us map
keycode 43 = backslash bar
but in dk
keycode 43 = apostrophe asterisk
I think you should do:
  wsconsctl map | grep 43
and
  wsconsctl map | grep backslash
and
  wsconsctl map | grep apostrophe

Since, you're getting backlash and bar in console, it has to be there
somewhere, and then change that keycode.  If, for example, it's 43 then
wsconsctl -w map+="keycode 43 = apostrophe asterisk" | grep ' 43 ='

The grep isn't necessary, but otherwise it prints out the whole map.

 '