Aw: Re: No option -p for make?

Dan LaBell <dan4l-nospam%verizon.net@localhost> wrote:

> Because, it's Berkeley not UNIX ;-)

... but BSD started out of UNIX (Edition 6 I think)

> Before, Berkeley and UNIX got together, that's not that, much, that's
> great
> about UNIX.  NO TCP/IP, and a line editor as the STANDARD editor.
> "Neat-oh,
> so you don't have to enter your scripts into the system with a punch
> card reader"
> is what, I feel most people in software development should think at
> the time.
>
> Before POSIX, and X/OPEN, etc, UNIX vendors would "copy in" Bell's
> "Sys Five"
> features with their own little nuances, and 'creature features'.

This may be all true.  But having some standard for portability (hey, we are on NetBSD!) isn't a bad thing.  Before POSIX there had been the UNIX wars and divergence...  It is good to use a "UNIX" standard to have portability without much configuring.

Maybe having option -p for make is not really important but it can be a debugging aid.