Re: Prepping to install

On 05/31/15 17:00, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
On 05/31/15 14:45, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
On 05/31/15 14:43, Martin Husemann wrote:
On Sun, May 31, 2015 at 02:41:01PM -0453, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
At 1st glance, I see no AHCI options for SATA. I do see OHCI & EHCI for
'Southbridge chipset configuration' ....
It is often called "internal ide controller mode" or similar.

Martin

Indeed it was, confusing names, but I seem to be past this hurdle :-)
.... Thanks !!!!

Well, on to more issues. I proceeded with my install, took the utilities option & from the shell, partitioned & disklabel'ed my 6 HDD's as I wanted them. All appeared to go well, no error messages. I then proceeded to raidctl commands to define the various RAID's I am trying to use. In particular, I am using the 1st 16 GiB of the 1st 2 drives (wd0 & wd1) as my root drive in a RAID1 configuration. I typed in the commands to define the RAID from a configuration file I set up & got errors saying something about the # of columns in /dev/wd0a or 1a was wrong. Inconveniently, these messages went by on the screen, not into the messages file on the install flash-drive. So I powered off, unplugged the flash drive & plugged it into this box (FreeBSD 9.3R-p13 desktop) to post my config files & ask for help, see attached for my disklabel of wd0, wd1 & my raid.conf file for the 1st RAID using those 2 drives (belay my last reply, sorry for that noise). I thought I followed the commands OK & had no errors until the raidctl command. TIA for any clues & have a nice weekend.

Sooooo tacky to self-reply, however, in trying to troubleshoot this myself, I was poking around in the /dev directory on the flash drive. I noticed that for every HDD device (wd<#><letter>) there was a corresponding rwd<#><letter>. Am I supposed to be using those in my raidctl commands (see raid1a.txt in previous post) ? I also retrieved the pertinent raidctl commands I used, shown below:

# raidctl -C raid1a.txt raid0 ; raidctl -I 10 raid0 ; raidctl -A yes raid0

straight out of Mr. Brownlee's docs, & verified to be consistent w/ the online man page for raidctl. TIA for any clues here & have a nice day ....

--

	William A. Mahaffey III

	 ever devised by man."
                           -- Gen. George S. Patton Jr.