Re: NetBSD for the dekstop

On 17 February 2015 at 13:24, Mayuresh <mayuresh%acm.org@localhost> wrote:
On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 01:29:11PM +0100, Stephan wrote:
Is there anyone still interested in bringing NetBSD to the desktop?

I use NetBSD on desktops and laptops.

What specific characteristics do you think NetBSD needs to "bring" it to
desktop? (Also, I didn't get "still" part of it.)

I've also been a long time NetBSD user (~25 years). I used KDE3 for many
years and then struggled to get KDE4 to work and switched to XFCE instead.
I am back on KDE4 under 6.99.47 on AMD64.

It mostly works (no sound). Firefox, Flash, Gimp, Thunderbird and a shed
load of other apps all work fine. Libreoffice works OK, but randomly dumps
core.

I would like to move to a more recent current or 7, but I cannot get any
recent KDE4 in pkgsrc current to even start-up properly, never mind run. I
have had a lot of challenges with the DRM2 stuff on 32 bit/64 bit systems
and laptops - it basically doesn't work with crashes or hangs on boot.

So my wish list is: (1) Fix DRM2 (2) better sound support
(3) Chromium Browser (4) (unlikely) KDE4 working properly or KDE5 :-)

As a server OS NetBD is generally faultless - although a recent current on a
64 bit HP microserver crashes on boot with APCI problems yet NetBSD 7_Beta
is fine - must submit a pr...

Dave

Phone: 07805784357
Open Source O/S: www.netbsd.org