Re: ldattach(8) alike util in NetBSD?

On 17 Feb 2015, at 20:52 , Marc Balmer <marc%msys.ch@localhost> wrote:
> Am 17.02.15 um 15:50 schrieb Christos Zoulas:
>> On Feb 17,  7:59am, marc%msys.ch@localhost (Marc Balmer) wrote:
>> -- Subject: Re: ldattach(8) alike util in NetBSD?

>> | Why should we do that?
>>
>> Because most people don't use this for slip anymore, because it is still
>> useful to set line disciplines, and because having similar command sets
>> across different BSD variants is a good thing.
>
> I don't think we should do this (btw, I wrote ldattach(8) in OpenBSD), I
> think slattach just evolved a bit and should not reead as "slip attach"
> anymore but rather as "serial line attach".
>
> ldattach(8) in OpenBSD btw is more than just slattach renamed to
> ldattach, it can pass data received to a pty and enable tty time
> stamping, a feature we are lacking.

slattach(8) doesn't do “tty" discipline, right?
At least the man page doesn’t mention that…

Having a slattach(8) on par with ldattach(8) (and perhaps a symlink named
ldattach -> slattach would be useful, as applications in Linux are described
to use ldattach the way I mentioned in the beginning of the tread.

Anyway, I finally got my avalanche noise -> USB serial input device sending
visible bits into NetBSD using tip(8).

/P