Re: Impossible to login (after NIS client setup)

On Mon, 22 Dec 2014 21:58:03 +0100
Rocky Hotas wrote:

> > Do you have /usr on separate filesystem, or everything under /?
> > Above errors are what I get if I try to fsck/mount normal directory.
>
> No, /usr and all the other directories are in the same filesystem,
> which is unique.

Everything on same filesystem is not that unique, but guide seems to
assume separate /usr. If you don't have separate /usr, you should be
able to just skip parts mentioning it. Or in other words, if it is not
filesystem, it doesn't need separate fsck/mount.

> > In any case, even without /usr, if you have / mounted, you should be
> > able to edit your rc.conf and whatever other configuration files you
> > need with /rescue/vi
>
> I was oddly able to modify the rc.conf file (and delete the lines
> about NIS), but not other files such as /etc/nsswitch.conf
> and /etc/mydomainname. Making "/rescue/vi /etc/ntsswitch.conf"
> produces:
>
> Error: messages not turned on: /dev/constty: read-only file system
> ex/vi: Error: /var/tmp/vi.recover: Read-only file system
> ex/vi: Modifications not recoverable if the session fails
> ex/vi: Error: /var/tmp/vi.recover/vi.00012c: Read-only file system

I almost sent small correction to my earlier mail, but unfortunately
didn't. When I wrote "if you have / mounted", there was implied "rw"
there which should have been explicit.

Error message says "read-only file system" did you fsck and
(re)mount / before attempting to edit, like guide suggests?