Re: Impossible to login (after NIS client setup)

Hello!

> Sent: Sunday, December 21, 2014 at 5:45 PM
> From: "Terho Uotila" <tuotila%gmx.com@localhost>
> To: "Rocky Hotas" <rockyhotas%post.com@localhost>
> Subject: Re: Impossible to login (after NIS client setup)
[...]
> > after running the suggested previous commands successfully, the
> > output of "fsck -u /usr" was
> >

> I assume -u above is just typo in email

Yes, it was a typo. The command was correctly "fsck -y /usr".

> Do you have /usr on separate filesystem, or everything under /? Above
> errors are what I get if I try to fsck/mount normal directory.

No, /usr and all the other directories are in the same filesystem, which is unique.

> In any case, even without /usr, if you have / mounted, you should be
> able to edit your rc.conf and whatever other configuration files you
> need with /rescue/vi

I was oddly able to modify the rc.conf file (and delete the lines about NIS), but not other files such as /etc/nsswitch.conf and /etc/mydomainname. Making "/rescue/vi /etc/ntsswitch.conf" produces:

Error: messages not turned on: /dev/constty: read-only file system
ex/vi: Error: /var/tmp/vi.recover: Read-only file system
ex/vi: Modifications not recoverable if the session fails
ex/vi: Error: /var/tmp/vi.recover/vi.00012c: Read-only file system

Permissions of such files are

-rw-r--r--

> (I do hope this gets sent only once, there were some problems with my
> sending setup...)

:) no it didn't, but it is common with the mailing-list, don't worry.

Rocky