Re: using getent(3) and specifying more arguments after the key?

On Jun 25,  6:42pm, reed%reedmedia.net@localhost ("Jeremy C. Reed") wrote:
-- Subject: Re: using getent(3) and specifying more arguments after the key?

| On Wed, 25 Jun 2014, Christos Zoulas wrote:
|
| > >Okay, one line fix. I will commit if nobody objects.
| > >
| > >t1:getent$ ./getent gettytab Console junk rw sp
| > >false
| > >true
| > >300
| >
| > I'd follow what sysctl(*) does (default print name=value
| > with -n print just value).
| >
| > christos
| >
| > (*) without extra spaces
|
| I think that is a better idea. But I don't know if worked before (I
| didn't check) and maybe some rely on the documented behavior. Also maybe
| some other system has the same feature to be same as. I didn't see the
| capabilities lookup on Linux getent or Solaris getent though.  If I do
| this change, should I send a "head up" or ask for feedback first for
| default output change?

I'd implement it first... Since getent on linux does not support key-value
databases, I don't think there is an issue. The problem is that both linux
and solaris allow multiple keys, so perhaps separate the fields with --?

./gettent gettytab ppp Console -- junk rw sp

christos