Re: openbsd -> netbsd : same yet feels different ...

> hello,

> it's been 3 days since i took advice from "aaron b" and migrated
> to netbsd from openbsd.

> i won't go overboard and say that i'm an instant fan-boy, but
> frankly, the system feels the same, yet quite different.

> for one, the responsiveness while using the operating system is
> much better than under openbsd (or even freebsd).
> secondly, the community (mailing list) isn't grumpy. :)

> i migrated primarily because of the upcoming support for "lua"
> throughout the operating system, hope it materializes.

> what else could someone who's not so much into system setup and
> administration, nor into systems programming do with netbsd?
> ah yes, i am not much of a 'gui' user, so will be working at the
> console, primarily, but would be nice to know if there's anyone
> here using or carrying over 'cwm' from openbsd, it's kinda nice.

> in closing, thanks for gracious support i have received ever
> since i started pestering the list with questions of a naive type.

> warm regards,

> ~mayuresh

I've never been on an OpenBSD emailing list, though I've heard about their
grumpiness.

Arch Linux emailing lists were grumpy, but I never actually got that far
because of overaggressive moderators.

I couldn't even ask a reasonable question, how to rebuild the system from
source as is done with FreeBSD and NetBSD.

So I became an infant mortality on the Arch Linux mailing lists.  That was
around May 8, 2013.

Big thing that sticks out like a sore thumb with OpenBSD is lack of support for
GPT (also USB 3.0, though that lack is present in NetBSD too).

Now, with GPT, I don't have to deal with BSD disklabels any more on new
installations.

I can't access my hard drives from OpenBSD.

My recent experience with OpenBSD is from the live USB
liveusb-openbsd.sourceforge.net

On MSI Z77 MPOWER motherboard, Linux and NetBSD connect with the Ethernet,
while FreeBSD, OpenBSD and DragonFly recognize the Ethernet but bug out.  That
is a big attraction for me with NetBSD.

Tom