Re: Can NetBSD on USB stick force root to be identified as sd0a?

> On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 07:57:12AM +0000, Thomas Mueller wrote:
> > Is there any way to force a USB installation to identify the root as sd0a,
> > when the disk number would normally be
> variable?

> > I could put in kernel config

> > config netbsd root on sd0a type ffs

> > but would NetBSD still decide for itself and fail to boot if it decides
> > some other device is sd0?

> it will. This tells to use root on sd0 and not trying to guess it; but
> this doesn't tell NetBSD what sd0 is.

> Doens't NetBSD finds the root device automagically ?

> Manuel Bouyer <bouyer%antioche.eu.org@localhost>
>      NetBSD: 26 ans d'experience feront toujours la difference

Yes, NetBSD finds the root device, or rather, the UEFI boot selector finds it,
though two or more USB sticks of the same brand and model may show identically,
meaning a wild guess on my part which is the desired one.

But the root device as NetBSD finds tends to be at variance with /etc/fstab.

It seems DragonFly bootable USB always comes as /dev/da8, or is it /dev/da8s1?
It looks like removable media in DragonFly start at number 8.

So I wish NetBSD bootable USB would always come out as sd0a in the non-GPT case.

Tom