Re: timeout on siside0

On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 06:10:03PM +0100, David Brownlee wrote:
> On 21 May 2014 12:25, Roy Bixler <rcbixler%nyx.net@localhost> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 06:11:14PM -0600, Roy Bixler wrote:
> > > Hi:
> > >
> > > I am new to this list but not to NetBSD.  I tried NetBSD long ago when
> > > it was at v. 1.6.  I have come back to it in part because I have some
> > > old hardware and prefer a lighter OS and in part because I do not like
> > > the recent trend in the Linux world towards replacing the init system
> > > with something like systemd.
> > >
> > > I came back to NetBSD with the 6.x series and my first few
> > > installations of it went flawlessly.  However, I came upon a
> > > configuration where I could not install it.  It is a dated PC with a
> > > SiS chipset.
> >
> > Just to follow up, I got the installation to go by setting up a PXE
> > boot.  The system boots up just fine with NetBSD 6.1.4 afterwards.
> > I also took a look at the bug tracking system and see that there are
> > still some old, unresolved bugs regarding DMA timeouts with SiS IDE.
> > I suppose I could add to one of those tickets when I have some time.
> > It would still be nice to be able to use the CD-ROM as an installation
> > media on this system.
>
> Out of curiosity are you able to mount and copy the files off the CD from
> the installed system?

I didn't expect that this would work and, after trying, I confirmed my
suspicion.  After the initial boot, the system wouldn't recognise that
there was a CD-ROM in the drive.  After reloading the CD, I was able
to mount it, but then I quickly got a read error when trying a "du"
command on the filesystem.

--
Roy Bixler <rcbixler%nyx.net@localhost>
"The fundamental principle of science, the definition almost, is this: the