Re: NFS performances

On May 12, 2014 3:27:14 PM EDT, Jan Stary <hans%stare.cz@localhost> wrote:

>What "problem"? I still don't get it: writing over a network
>is considerably slower than _not_ writing over a network, sure.

Intuitions and rules of thumb regarding performance need to be updated with
modern technology in mind:

100MB/9.81sec = ~10.2 MB/s
  vs
1Gb/s / 8 b/B = 128MB/s peak throughput not counting any overhead

Just based on raw speed, writing over the network should NOT be slower, so it's
pretty obvious there is something not quite right.

Eric