Re: /etc/fstab in NetBSD < current when device numbers are variable

On 19 April 2014 08:07, Thomas Mueller <mueller6724%bellsouth.net@localhost>
wrote:

> > Here is my /etc/fstab from NetBSD 6.1-STABLE on 8 GB Kingston Data Traveler:

> > # NetBSD /targetroot/etc/fstab
> > # See /usr/share/examples/fstab/ for more examples.
> > /dev/sd0a               /       ffs     rw,log           1 1
> > /dev/sd0b               none    swap    sw,dp            0 0
> > kernfs          /kern   kernfs  rw
> > ptyfs           /dev/pts        ptyfs   rw
> > procfs          /proc   procfs  rw
> > /dev/cd0a               /cdrom  cd9660  ro,noauto

> > Problem is I don't always know if USB stick will be /dev/sd0, and an
> > internal media reader can play further havoc with
> device numbers.

> > NetBSD-current with NAME= gets around that problem.

> > What do you do for /etc/fstab?

> I have more or less the same fstab. What happens if you stop the boot,
> drop to command line and type:
dev

> Can you see the Netbsd partition from there?

> The bootloader will probably see it as hd1a or hd2a.

I've tried to boot with -a but hung at the prompt at the end.

I think I could try dev and see if that results in anything positive, had no
luck with dev in the past, and there is still the tyranny of /etc/fstab.

I checked /etc/fstab on OpenBSD 5.4 live USB, from liveusb.sourceforge.net, and
noticed a long label, so maybe that enables this live USB to find its root and
swap.  I believe this or similar feature in NetBSD begins in current (releng-7).

Tom