Re: Ext2 as a root filesystem: any contraindication?

Ottavio Caruso <ottavio2006-usenet2012%yahoo.com@localhost> writes:

> I am going to move my 6.1.2 amd64 installation from a USB drive to a
> partition in my hard drive. What if I use ext2 as a root filesystem?
>
> Any contraindications? I know already I'm not going to have
> journalling, but I can live with it.
>
> The only reason would be that it would make it easier for me to resize
> the partition (as in MBR partition, not slice) later on with Gparted.
>
> Unless somebody can suggest a realtively way to resize a ffs/ffs2 partition.

man resize_ffs :-)

Also, get an external disk, which you need for backup anyway, and dump,
adjust, newfs, and restore.

People at BBN tried to use ext2 as root on evbppc, and we ran into
trouble.  So I expect that you are going to have some issues, and will
be better off with ffs (where you can use wapbl, but really because it
will be reliable).