Re: Making a localized, educational live-usb version of Netbsd? Possible, and is worth it?

  Hello,

Ottavio Caruso <ottavio2006-usenet2012%yahoo.com@localhost> writes:

> On 29 March 2014 20:32, Christos Zoulas <christos%astron.com@localhost> wrote:
>> You can boot and run NetBSD on MSDOSFS root. Devices are handled by mounting
>> an mfs devfs, and permissions of course are not implemented etc.
>
> Thanks Christos and others,
>
> but as long as I understand the above mentioned process is involved
> when you want to boot an "installed system" from fat/fat32.
>
> What I was looking for instead, was a poor man's installation of a
> live system, "live" as in live cd or live usb, for example an image
> created with "mklivecd". But I might have misunderstood the whole
> thing or explained myself incorrectly.

You ought to forget about "mklivecd", it stopped working about seven years ago.
After the introduction of ISO 9660 support to makefs(8) and after improvements
of kernel modules support it has become largely obsolete. If you're going to
work
with mklivecd, you're going to spend time on fixing a tool to solve problems
that don't exist anymore.

Besides, in modern times there's very little (if any) need for live CD images,
live USB/SD media are easier to arrange, easier to handle, and easier to produce
at the same time. If you want to get the project done, you can safely ignore the
very existance of CD/DVD drives and focus on live USB memory stick or live SD
card.
That doesn't mean that you should force everyone to abandon CD media completely,
still you can produce CD images if and after the real need arises.

In any case creating file system image is the easiest part of all this.
The hardest part is getting requirements right and packaging all this stuff
correctly.

--
HE CE3OH...