Re: Soekris Net6501 install from USB stick newbie issues

On 01/27/2014 06:27 PM, Greg Troxel wrote:

"g.lister" <g.lister%nodeunit.com@localhost> writes:

OK I installed minicom and changed the baud rate to 9600 and remove
the hardware flow control so no hardware or software flow
control. Copied the image again as every time I go into the blank
screen the soekris cannot read the USB stick after and tried using
minicom for the job unfortunately with the same result -> blank screen
with a cursor in the top left corner.

I am not sure if I should try amd64... the CPU is 32 bits not 64...

I tried to do more or less what you are doing, and I found that a USB
stick was either flaky or did not work and when I used an actual disk
and an older USB/umass/IDE adaptor, it worked reliably.

As for i386/amd64: the cpu is either, but soekris supports the box as
i386 only.  People say that amd64 works too.  I'm running mine i386.

Thank you for replying. Unfortunately I have no spare drive to use as USB drive, so I decided to install on the drive I have by plugging it into my laptop. During the install I picked com1 as the bootblock and later move it to the Soekris, but unfortunately the same thing happens after the boot I get nothing on the screen...

This is harder then I thought... :)

I cannot use the HD I have to put the installer on it and then install on the same disk can I?? I mean the sysinstal will probably see it is a disk and it will use it so when I go to partitioning all the sets I need later will be gone plus tmp may not end in RAM...

Can someone share a properly configured /etc/ttys for the soekris so I can see if I am completely messing this up??

Thanks in advance.
George