Re: Issues with Firefox and sound control

Hi,

From: Ottavio Caruso <ottavio2006-usenet2012%yahoo.com@localhost>, Date: Fri,
15 Nov 2013 23:25:04 +0000

> Hello,
>
> I have an almost entirely usable desktop installation of Netbds 6.1.2
> on my Thinkpad X61 (64 bit - 2G RAM).
>
> I have installed both Firefox24 and Firefox17. I haven't installed the
> Flash plugin yet as I wanted to investigate what I can get without
> Flash.
>
> Sound is working ok on the command line, but with the latest Firefox
> (Nightly 24) I have no sound at all. With Firefox17 I do have sound,
> however the built-in volume controls don't work and the hardware
> volume switches are a bit erratic (they work fine on the command
> line).
>
> Output from firefox  (both 17 and 24)
>
> bash-4.2$ firefox17
>
> (firefox:290): Gtk-WARNING **: Could not find the icon
> 'gtk-go-back-ltr'. The 'hicolor' theme
> was not found either, perhaps you need to install it.
> You can get a copy from:
>         http://icon-theme.freedesktop.org/releases
>
> (firefox:290): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to store changes into
> `/home/oc/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: Failed to
> create file '/home/oc/.local/share/recently-used.xbel.J4LU6W': No such
> file or directory
>
> (firefox:290): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to set the permissions of
> `/home/oc/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: No such file
> or directory
>
> output from startx :
>
> /usr/pkg/bin/bash: amixer: command not found
> /usr/pkg/bin/bash: amixer: command not found
> /usr/pkg/bin/bash: amixer: command not found
>
> So I though the problem was with alsa. After installing alsa-utils I get:
>
> mixer attach default error, no such file or directory.
>
> Running amixer as root gives the same error.
> It looks like alsamixer cannot find a mixer device.
>
> What should I do: wait until the sound issue is resolved on the latest
> FF or fix the problem with alsa?
>
> Has anybody got the same problem?
>
> And incidentally, can anybody recommend me a good and lightweight X11
> based mixer?

Which version of pkgsrc/www/firefox or firefox24 is used?

firefox-24.0 from pkgsrc-2013Q3 has the problem of sound output.
I am preparing pullup request now.

If you use firefox24 from pkgsrc current, options.mk has no --disable-alsa
and something goes wrong.
As far as I know, ALSA support does not work properly on NetBSD/amd64 6.99.25,
NetBSD/{amd64,i386} 6.1.
Pulseaudio support is enabled by default on NetBSD.

--
Ryo ONODERA // ryo_on%yk.rim.or.jp@localhost
PGP fingerprint = 82A2 DC91 76E0 A10A 8ABB  FD1B F404 27FA C7D1 15F3