How (and wherther) to set pkg wpa_supplicant

I have been using wpa_supplicant from base and did not realize it has pkg
version as well, which is newer.

Would like to try using the pkg version to see whether it helps solve
latency issues (which I am discussing on a separate thread).

Particularly, how to set up /etc/rc.d/wpa_supplicant when using pkg
version?

(I just manually changed all the paths from /usr/sbin to /usr/pkg/sbin/ in
/etc/rc.d/wpa_supplicant. But not sure whether that is the right way to
go.)

Mayuresh.