Switching to console after startx doesn't work

The details of hardware, x11 driver etc are on this thread. (Somehow I did
not receive this mail, which I could have otherwise just replied to)
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.os.netbsd.general/35321

Since upgrading to above hardware (no change in software), switching to
console from X11 has become impossible. Even exiting window manager to end
X11 session does not show the consoles.

The screen just goes blank and responds to nothing. The machine remains
accessible over network.

Does this problem, too, relate with use of a wrong driver (vesa) for above
hardware?

Mayuresh