Re: 'usb_modeswitch' equivalent

                        Hi everyone,

On 14/03/2013 19:39, Magnus Eriksson wrote:
>>> Does Nonaka's patch work for you?
>
>> Yes ! Nonaka san's patch indeed worked.
>>
>> Here are the complete details
>> http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_875a3cff0101jfhr.html
>
> That's great news!
>
> Time to take a second look at this then, and thanks for reporting back.
> I'll let you know how it goes with my hardware as well.

by the way, you may find the "deforaos-phone" package useful (in pkgsrc,
comms/deforaos-phone). It allows interacting with such USB modems and
pppd through a Gtk+ interface.

Obligatory screenshot:
https://freecode.com/screenshots/9b/ca/9bca105fa376356a3491cfca00fafc83_medium.png?1362020576

Pre-configuration goes as follows:
- make sure your regular user is allowed to write to /dev/ttyU0, eg:
  # usermod -G wheel user && chmod g+rw /dev/ttyU0
- place this file in /etc/ppp/peers/phone:

> notty
> local
> noauth
> defaultroute
> usepeerdns

- do not forget to take care of /etc/resolv.conf too; I do it with
  /etc/ppp/ip-up and /etc/ppp/ip-down:

> #!/bin/sh
>
> RESOLVCONF="/sbin/resolvconf"
> if [ $# -ne 5 -a $# -ne 6 ]; then
>         echo "Usage: ip-up interface tty speed local remote [parameter]" 1>&2
>         exit 1
> fi
> interface="$1"
> [ "$USEPEERDNS" -eq 1 ] && $RESOLVCONF -a "$interface" <
> "/etc/ppp/resolv.conf"

> #!/bin/sh
>
> RESOLVCONF="/sbin/resolvconf"
> if [ $# -ne 5 -a $# -ne 6 ]; then
>         echo "Usage: ip-down interface tty speed local remote [parameter]"
> 1>&2
>         exit 1
> fi
> interface="$1"
> $RESOLVCONF -d "$interface"

- the rest can be done via the user interface, but for the record, here
  is my ~/.phone:

> plugins=gprs,systray
>
> [modem::hayes]
> device=/dev/ttyU0
> baudrate=460800
> hwflow=0
>
> [plugin::gprs]
> in=0
> out=0
> attach=0
> apn=internet.eplus.de
> username=eplus
> password=gprs
> systray=1

Information about the current operator, quality of coverage etc can be
displayed via the "deforaos-panel" package (in pkgsrc
x11/deforaos-panel). You need to enable the "panel" plug-in in
deforaos-phone, and the "phone" plug-in in deforaos-panel.
Alternatively, you can use this command: "panel-notify -t 0 phone".

Sorry if this is not exactly straightforward - do not hesitate to ask me
directly if you have any questions.

HTH,
--
khorben