Re: ugly font when printing from firefox

On 10/02/12 12:38, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 02, 2012 at 10:45:09AM +0200, Martin Husemann wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 01, 2012 at 08:08:36PM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
>>>
>>>   [firefox bitmap-ish fonts]
>>>
>>> I have been seeing this on and off on multiple systems, running netbsd-4
>>> and netbsd-5.  Systems with the same package binaries and system
>>> binaries do and don't have the issue.  I did not figure it out.  But I
>>> think it's not about the code, but about font config and caching.
>>
>> I see this as well on some sites.
>> Can you identify the font in question? It might be a bit tricky if the page
>> uses different css for printing, otherwise firebug offers great help looking
>> up style details of parts of the web site.
>
> It could be:
> html, input, select, textarea {
>     font-family: Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;
> }
>
> I don't think the fonts are different for printing; I found some
> print-only attributes in the CSS, but it's to show or hide part of the
> page when printed. Nothing about the fonts.
> Note that the fonts display properly in firefox, it's only when printing
> the page that the problem show up (it's printed via the firefox print menu,
> not a print link on the page)

I was playing with this on a NetBSD 5.1 the other day and got it working
by installing pkgsrc/fonts/fontconfig and pkgsrc/fonts/ms-ttf.  I was
trying to print an article from http://firstmonday.org and without both
packages it would be unreadable.  There was also small changes in how
e.g. Gmail was rendered in the browser after adding these two packages.

--
Håkan Engvall