Re: git insists in using IPv6

On Sat, Aug 18, 2012 at 2:35 PM, Taylor R Campbell
<campbell+netbsd-users%mumble.net@localhost> wrote:
> A little ktracing reveals that git, presumably while somewhere in
> libcurl, successfully connects via IPv4 to code.google.com, exchanges
> some TLS messages, and then closes the connection before subsequently
> connecting via IPv6 and failing.
>
> What I suspect happened is that the certificate verification failed
> via IPv4, so curl tried connecting via the next address it got from
> getaddrinfo, and in the end reported only the last failure it saw,
> namely the IPv6 error rather than the certificate verification error.
> That is, Git doesn't insist on using IPv6; curl just chooses, of the
> errors it has available to report, the one about IPv6.
>
> Setting GIT_SSL_NO_VERIFY=1 in my environment makes the `git clone'
> work; I expect that pointing http.sslCAInfo or GIT_SSL_CAINFO at the
> relevant root CA certificates would also make it work.

Bingo.  I was comparing the setup of my old VM, in which git worked
fine, to my fresh reinstallation and couldn't spot any obvious
differences (git version, kernel version, etc.).  I had completely
forgotten that I had installed mozilla-rootcerts.  Doing so in the new
machine did the trick and fixed the problems I was expecting.

Thanks,

--
Julio Merino / @jmmv