Re: git insists in using IPv6

On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 6:56 PM, Jan Schaumann
<jschauma%netmeister.org@localhost> wrote:
> Julio Merino <jmmv%NetBSD.org@localhost> wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure if something changed in NetBSD to cause this, but I
>> cannot longer "git clone" from some hosts because it insists on using
>> IPv6 addresses and I don't have IPv6 support.  For example:
>>
>> $ git clone https://code.google.com/p/kyua/
>> Cloning into 'kyua'...
>> error: Failed to connect to 2607:f8b0:4004:801::1007: No route to host
>> while accessing https://code.google.com/p/kyua/info/refs
>> fatal: HTTP request failed
>
> Is this only for git?  What about telnet to port 443 on code.google.com
> or other IPv6 enabled hosts?

$ telnet code.google.com 443
Trying 2607:f8b0:4004:803::1006...
telnet: connect to address 2607:f8b0:4004:803::1006: No route to host
Trying 74.125.228.104...
Connected to code.l.google.com.
Escape character is '^]'.

> Are you sure your host does not have IPv6 support at all?  If you do
> have a dual-stack enabled host, it will try to use IPv6 to connect to a
> host with a AAAA record, even if IPv6 connectivity is broken.

Well, I _do_ have IPv6 in the kernel.  It's pretty much a fresh NetBSD
installation.

*However*, this was working with my previous NetBSD system.  So I
booted the old VM, and confirmed that it still works.  Same git
version, same kernel.

Anyway.  Taylor R. Campbell's reply, which just came in, holds the
real answer to my problems!

--
Julio Merino / @jmmv