Re: Small USB WiFi adapter supported by NetBSD

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 9:36 PM,  <jmitchel%bigjar.com@localhost> wrote:
> Unfortunately, my adapter doesn't work with a current kernel as of 5/27.
> But I bought one of the Edimax adapters and will try it when it comes in
> and report. Thanks for the info.

I played with this a bit at home and got it working. Here's the new
demsg output:

urtwn0 at uhub1 port 1
urtwn0: Realtek 802.11n WLAN Adapter, rev 2.00/2.00, addr 2
urtwn0: MAC/BB RTL8188CUS, RF 6052 1T1R, address 80:1f:02:0f:ce:fb
urtwn0: 1 rx pipe, 2 tx pipes
urtwn0: 11b rates: 1Mbps 2Mbps 5.5Mbps 11Mbps
urtwn0: 11g rates: 1Mbps 2Mbps 5.5Mbps 11Mbps 6Mbps 9Mbps 12Mbps
18Mbps 24Mbps 36Mbps 48Mbps 54Mbps

Notes:

This is VMWare Fusion, and I disabled the built in pcn0 adapter
Read the man page for urtwn about getting the firmware file from
openbsd people (you can see the error 2 loading it from my last
message)
wpa_supplicant worked for me after I used scan_ssid=1 because I don't
broadcast my ssid

And from there it works. I can't imagine that it has very good range
since it's so tiny, but it seems to work well enough for now.

Andy