Re: Small USB WiFi adapter supported by NetBSD

On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 10:08 PM,  <jmitchel%bigjar.com@localhost> wrote:
> Does anyone have information about a small USB Wifi adapter that is
> supported by NetBSD 6.0_BETA (or later)? I have a very small (1" exposed)
> Realtek adapter (RTL8191S) that's recognized by Ubuntu, but it isn't (yet)
> supported by NetBSD.

In the interest of getting you a quick answer rather than a correct
answer, I just tried something with a relatively current NetBSD
machine (current within the last few days):

urtwn0 at uhub1 port 1
urtwn0: Realtek 802.11n WLAN Adapter, rev 2.00/2.00, addr 2
urtwn0: MAC/BB RTL8188CUS, RF 6052 1T1R, address 80:1f:02:0f:ce:fb
urtwn0: 1 rx pipe, 2 tx pipes
urtwn0: 11b rates: 1Mbps 2Mbps 5.5Mbps 11Mbps
urtwn0: 11g rates: 1Mbps 2Mbps 5.5Mbps 11Mbps 6Mbps 9Mbps 12Mbps
18Mbps 24Mbps 36Mbps 48Mbps 54Mbps
urtwn0: failed loadfirmware of file urtwn-rtl8192cfwT (error 2)
urtwn0: cannot assign link-local address
urtwn0: failed loadfirmware of file urtwn-rtl8192cfwT (error 2)
urtwn0: failed loadfirmware of file urtwn-rtl8192cfwT (error 2)
urtwn0: cannot assign link-local address

This is not the same as yours, nor do I know if it even works since
I'm at work right now.

The adapter is labeled as an Edimax EW-7811Un, I bought it because it
was really cheap, very small, and it can never hurt to have a backup.
I don't really use it.

The man page for urtwn doesn't list your chip as supported on my
machine, but I didn't look at the code to decide if this is really the
case.

Andy