Re: What's wrong with ipmon?

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 01:20:52PM +0200, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 01:13:01PM +0200, herbert langhans wrote:
> > > I guess you properly used 'log' in your ipf rules ?
> > > I've been using ipf on 5.1-ish systems, and logging is working ...
> >
> > You guessed wrong. I thought it says at least anything by default!
>
> No, without the log keyword nothing will be logged.
>

> > Now I assigned (in ipf.conf) some lines like this:
> > block out log on nfe0 from manul to 62.213.199.236
> > There is 'log' now in the line what hasn't been there before.
> >
> > But do I have to modify syslog.conf as well? I googled that there has to be
> > something like:
> > local0.*    /var/log/ipflog.log
>
> Yes, ipmon logs to local0. With the default syslog.conf some ipf logs may
> end up in /var/log/messages but not all of them (only those with severity
> at or highter than info)
>

> > Or is is enough to have in /etc/rc.d:
> > ipfilter=YES
> > ipmon=YES
>
> ipmon_flags is -Dns by default, so logs are sent to syslog.
>
> --
> Manuel Bouyer <bouyer%antioche.eu.org@localhost>
>      NetBSD: 26 ans d'experience feront toujours la difference
> --

Yep - got it working! As you say it left already some lines in messages.
I will read through the syslog.conf page and I am sure I get along now.
Is some kind of rocket science, the ipf-logging ...

Thanks a lot, had never got it working without your help!
herb langhans

--
sprachtraining langhans
herbert langhans, warschau