What's wrong with ipmon?

Hi Listers,
I am fighting for hours with ipmon.

After I had set up the ipfilter with a quite extensive /etc/ipf.conf I
wanted to have the results in a logfile. Whatever I do - ipmon doesnt
generate any output.

Since I wasnt sure about logging the output over syslog (to avoid
possible configuration errors in syslog.conf) I tried the direct way
by invoking:
#ipmon -Dnf /home/herbs/ipf.log

Nothing there. The ipfilter is working (ipfstat shows that) and an empty
ipf.log exists too. Something is wrong. I also tried to set it in
/etc/rc.d to ipmon=YES - no log data ...

What am I doing wrong?
Thanks
herb langhans