Re: Banning installation of particular packages

Le 06/05/12 21:27, Aleksey Cheusov a écrit :
On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 9:58 PM, matthew
sporleder<msporleder%gmail.com@localhost>  wrote:
I'm not sure how you could deny build/install of packages if they
explicitly required cups, though.

Debian Linux has three levels of dependencies: requires (must be installed),
recommends and suggests. I believe we can easily do the same in pkgsrc.
In a long run this would be a good feature.

Please, don't. The recommends/suggests started to be a pain to manage once it moved to aptitude and its "default recommends" attitude. You end up installing buckloads of packages which you have to maintain afterwards (both as a user and maintainer PoV).

All my Debian installations end up with "Install-Recommends false" nowadays. I mean, installing apache ends up suggesting a web browser and pulls in X.org and half gnome. Nice suggestion.

Two levels is probably welcome (requirements + recommendations), and stick to reasonable proportions. KISS.

--
Jean-Yves Migeon
jeanyves.migeon%free.fr@localhost