Re: _res in GNUMail

Hi,

On 04/05/12 15:21, Greg Troxel wrote:
Riccardo Mottola<riccardo.mottola%libero.it@localhost>  writes:

since many years GNUMail (GNUstep mail reader) is broken on NetBSD.

As soon as the program tries to connect to the mail server it aborts with:

_res is not supported for multi-threaded programs.
[3]   Abort trap (core dumped) GNUMail

However, GNUMail is explicitely single-threaded. I think it is a
limitation of NetBSD - the same code works on most operating system I
know and I have tried on, Linux and Solaris and other BSD variants
including FreeBSD and NetBSD.

There's a difference between a program compiled without thread support
and a program compiled with thread support that only uses one thread.
GNUstep is always built with thread support. Some programs do not create htreads though and only run on the main thread..

If NetBSD isn't following standards it should be fixed.   But, in 2012 a
program that can't run in a threaded environment seems broken.   I would
suggest looking at the GNUMail sources to figure out what it's doing
with _res and if it's easily avoidable.

I don't know which standards are used her,e but the fact that it runs on all other platforms I know of, is supspicious.