Re: _res in GNUMail

Riccardo Mottola <riccardo.mottola%libero.it@localhost> writes:

> since many years GNUMail (GNUstep mail reader) is broken on NetBSD.
>
> As soon as the program tries to connect to the mail server it aborts with:
>
> _res is not supported for multi-threaded programs.
> [3]   Abort trap (core dumped) GNUMail
>
> However, GNUMail is explicitely single-threaded. I think it is a
> limitation of NetBSD - the same code works on most operating system I
> know and I have tried on, Linux and Solaris and other BSD variants
> including FreeBSD and NetBSD.

There's a difference between a program compiled without thread support
and a program compiled with thread support that only uses one thread.

> It would be nice to get it working on NetBSD, by fixing NetBSD if
> necessary!

If NetBSD isn't following standards it should be fixed.   But, in 2012 a
program that can't run in a threaded environment seems broken.   I would
suggest looking at the GNUMail sources to figure out what it's doing
with _res and if it's easily avoidable.

Alternatively, you can build it without thread support, but that may
required building lots of prereqs without thread support also.